Square Enix has announced the release date and time for Final Fantasy VII The First Soldier update 1.0.2.
The upcoming patch will make a number of improvements, as previously outlined. These include support for gyro controls as well as bug fixes for the Final Fantasy themed battle royale shooter.
Final Fantasy VII The First Soldier update 1.0.2 will be available to download on December 8, 2021. Maintenance will take place between 02:00 and 07:00 UTC with the patch going live soon after.
Square has also been teasing its Christmas in-game event. Festive character outfits and other cosmetics will soon be making their way into The First Soldier with areas of the map receiving a temporary makeover.
Final Fantasy VII The First Soldier Update 1.0.2 Patch Notes
- – Error in which the lower half of your character is displayed awkwardly when equipped with specific skins
- Voice chat not working
- Sound cuts out each time you switch to another application
- Map cannot be opened after briefing just before the beginning of a match
- Controller cursor disappears
- Controller cursor appears in the top left of the screen in situations it shouldn’t appear
- Firing gun occasionally doesn’t work when pressing ADS button and fire button at same time
- Game crashes
- *We will continuously be making improvements to this final fix.
- Other small bug fixes
- Gyroscope support
- Fixed virtual joystick option
Announced earlier this year alongside another Final Fantasy VII title for mobile, The First Soldier didn’t get the warmest reception among fans. So soon after 2020’s superb Final Fantasy VII Remake, there were concerns that FF7 fatigue could set in prematurely as Square Enix continues to lean on the nostalgia of fans.
With that said, Final Fantasy 7 The First Soldier holds up remarkably well. In a world where so many battle royale shooters have appeared only to vanish months later, Square’s punt at the genre is both fun and innovative. It makes use of assets and locations from FF7 Remake, forging them together to create a patchwork battleground in which players let loose spells and a hail of bullets.
Of course, it’s also given Square an opportunity to pump its latest mobile hit with cosmetic DLC for those wanting to dress up like their favourite Final Fantasy characters.