Technical Changes in 1.18.1 Pre-release 1
- Fixed an issue that would cause players on low-bandwidth connections to get timeout errors when connecting to a server
- World fog now starts further away from the player, to make distant terrain more visible
- Instead of applying fog as a spherical volume it is now applied as a cylindrical volume
Bugs fixed in 1.18.1 Pre-release 1
- MC-219507 – Beacon’s power reverts back to previous one on world reload
- MC-242729 – Observer activating without any updates nearby, caused by /clone
- MC-243216 – Chunk render distance on servers seems shorter than in 1.17.1
The bugs above are fixed for the pre-release version, which is currently only available on PC, but is destined for a live release “at the end of next week” — the 10th of December.
Specifically for Bedrock Edition (which is the one on consoles), these are the fixes that are currently live:
- Fixed a crash that could occur when copying a world backup in certain languages on PlayStation
- Fixed a crash that could occur when chatting and playing on Realms
- Decreased the amount of Diamond Ore that generates to match Java Edition
- Fixed lighting bugs when removing light sources after returning to the Overworld from other dimensions (MCPE-145828)
- Players no longer have problems moving after respawning or getting out of a Bed
- Added a warning prompt explaining potential loss of data when setting File Storage Location to External on Android devices
- Fixed various crashes and storage-related issues with Android multi-user functionality and Amazon Kids/Freetime (MCPE-106524, MCPE-107503, MCPE-37685)
- Fixed simulation stopping in multiplayer sessions when other players move away from one player’s render distance (MCPE-147391)
- The teleport command will no longer succeed when ‘checkForBlocks’ is true and the destination is obstructed
- Fixed an issue that could cause a faulty purchase page for Realms when the maximum number of Realms are already owned
- Optimized the Marketplace Inventory screen and improved loading of content images
The Bedrock 1.18.1 live release is currently only available on PlayStation, but is scheduled for other platforms “in the coming days”.
If you’ve experienced any bugs with the 1.18 update, make sure to put them into the Minecraft Issue Tracker if you want them fixed!