It’s a double-whammy of terror for parents this weekend as, not only is it Halloween and the expectation of spookiness and trick or treating will be sky high, but it’s also the end of daylight savings across Europe. For the rest of us, this is also the perfect time and excuse to break out some classic horror games and give yourself a few scares. Do you have any games on your playlist?
Before you get to that though, how about catching up on the week’s news and reviews in our gaming round-up?
In the News This Week
- See almost three minutes of Netflix’s The Witcher Season 2
- Oculus is being killed off in favour of Facebook’s new Meta brand
- The Halo Infinite campaign overview shows new gameplay for the first time in over a year
- Weird West is coming out for PlayStation, Xbox and PC in January 2022
- Returnal 2.0 update finally lets you save the game mid-run
- KartRider Drift beta dates announced, sign up now
- See Little Devil Inside’s gorgeous new gameplay trailer and world map
- Star Ocean: The Divine Force will be released 2022 for PlayStation, Xbox and PC
- BlizzConline has been cancelled for early 2022
- Fans complain about Switch Online’s N64 emulation
Are you going to be picking up the games bundled into PlayStation Plus and Games with Gold next month? Let’s check out what they are:
- The November 2021 PlayStation Plus games have been revealed
- November’s free Xbox Games with Gold revealed
Games in Review
After last week’s lull, this week is much busier for big game launches and reviews. How did Guardians of the Galaxy fare, in particular?
- Age of Empires IV – PC – 8/10
- Mario Party Superstars – NSW – 8/10 (Video Review)
- Jackbox Party Pack 8 – PS5, XSX|S, PS4, XBO, NSW, iOS, And, PC – 8/10
- Neptunia x Senran Kagura: Ninja Wars – PS4 – 8/10
- Toem – PS5, NSW, PC – 8/10
- Project Zero: Maiden of Black Water – PS5, XSX|S, PS4, XBO, NSW, PC – 7/10
- Toy Soldiers HD – PS5, XSX|S, PS4, XBO, NSW, PC – 7/10
- Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy – PS5, XSX|S, PS4, XBO, PC – 6/10
And all of those game reviews were joined by a solitary gamepad review for one of the littlest gamepads that could!
We also had some space for some previews and other articles in this week’s featured posts. Dom kicked off the week with a preview of Shin Megami Tensei V for Switch. Can it garner Persona-like praise and recognition?
I previewed the upcoming new hero, map and gun for Apex Legends: Season 11 – Escape, while Jim dove into the excellent Switch port of the now classic open world zombie parkour game Dying Light. I then returned with a preview of the very cosy Grow: Song of the Evertree.
Rounding the week out, What We Played featured Guardians of the Galaxy, Riders Republic and Project Zero: Maiden of Black Water.
Here’s what you in our community has been up to this week:
- MrYd’s been running through a second play of Scarlet Nexus, and picked up Stories Untold, Silence and Strange Brigade from the PlayStation Store sales. All the games beginning with ‘S’! (And well wishes for your mum, MrYd)
- TSBonyman has stuck to his diet of No Man’s Sky and Dreams this week.
- hornet1990 has slowly but surely been installing and updating every PS3 game he owns, firing up Journey, Far cry 3 Blood Dragon, Battlefield Bad Company 2, GTA 4 and more a long the way! He’s also played something more current with Dirt 5 before his EA Play sub expires, and has enjoyed it despite the ‘dudebro’ voice overs.
- tactical20 has got stuck in Metroid Dread, and doesn’t think he can go back to improve his odds against the boss…
That’s it for this week’s gaming round-up. Have a fun weekend, and we’ll catch you again soon.